Puget Sound English Department

February 24, 2009

Ph.D. versus M.F.A. in English

Some junior and senior English majors may be considering graduate school, which includes an M.A.T. (which customarily leads to teaching high school), an M.F.A in creative writing, or a Ph.D. in literature or rhetoric/composition studies. For a perspective on the Ph.D. versus the M.F.A., you might want to look at the following blog:


Also, professors in the English Department itself have earned Ph.D.s, M.A.s, and/or M.F.A.s, so feel free to ask us questions, too.

One basic consideration is time. A Ph.D. in literature or rhetoric usually takes 7-8 years to complete (after the B.A.), whereas an M.F.A. usually takes about two years.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: